Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Needle Felting

As if I needed a new craft. I've been hooked on needle felting for the last few months. (pun intended.) Needle felting is best described as sculpting with wool. You use roving which is the term for wool before it's spun into yarn, and then you use a special needle that has teeny-tiny barbs on the end to poke and sculpt the wool into shapes. Wool on a microscopic level also has barbs, so the more you poke the wool the tighter the wool inter-locks together. Cool huh? :)
- Check out this youtube videos to see this how this is done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8JYOhxHLXI&feature=related
- For those of you in the Los Angeles area. The Urban Craft Center offers a fabulous needle felting class for $25. (The also have sewing and yarn spinning classes. I heart this store.) http://www.theurbancraftcenter.com/

Here are a few of my recent projects:
Mini-Lex


Mom's Christmas Bunny

project from The Urban Craft Center class


5 comments:

Cindy said...

I'd probably enjoy doing this so maybe someday I'll learn. I love the bunny you made for me!

Patty said...

You are very talented and have the cutest projects to share.

Barbara said...

Those are adorable--my cat would love that mouse... I saw your bunny on your Mom's blog and knew I had to check this out! Needle felting is becoming so popular along with making all kinds of things with felted wool and shrunken wool sweaters.

I just read your posts and love your writing style. Glad you are part of the blogging fun...

Anita said...

I have a friend that does needle felting. I'd never heard of it before she told me about it, and now, I'm seeing your work! I bet I'll see it from someone else soon. :)
It's nice to have something you love doing, and doing it so well.

Lynner said...

Hurrah!