Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Macro Madness


Macro photography. Not at all what I thought it was.

Those amazing photos of a fly, bee, or flower where everything is in focus? They are focus stacked. Meaning several (up to 20 or more) photos are taken, each focusing on a different part of the object. Then using software (Photoshop) they are stacked one on top of each other to create one completely in focus photograph.

To my amazement I didn't take enough photos in my example of Bougainvillea shown here. The B&W version above is focus stacked and is flawed enough that I can't make a decent print of it yet. If I had overlapped the focus better, everything would have been in focus.  As it stands, I still have a lot of Photoshopping to go. (Blargh.)

A single shot is below just to show off the pretty color. 


No comments: